Saturday, January 19, 2008
Holy cow. This is one of the very best books that I have ever read. I don't want to say anything about the story because I don't want to give it away. But it has been years since I've liked a novel this much. Highly recommended.
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Saturday, January 12, 2008
If I had to recommend one book to someone who wanted a readable critique of "the Western diet," this would be it. His history of health advice and fads and laws is enough to make anyone angry. The book isn't perfect (for example, I think he romanticizes native diets by neglecting to mention malnutrition issues and he doesn't distinguish between most processed foods and healthy processed foods, such as bagged salads) but it is very good.
Wow! This is one of those books that everyone should read: a Peace Corp volunteer tells the story of an amazing story of a woman with a sixth grade education and a few months of midwifery training who is the sole source of health care for several villages. Highly recommended.
If there were an award for which book had the post "ewwww" moments, this one would win. The history of bathing (or, more correctly, the lack thereof) isn't pretty. But this book wasn't very interesting.
I enjoyed reading this, but at the end felt disappointed. The writing didn't hold a candle to The Yiddish Policeman's Union and the plot was disjointed. I'm not sure why it won a Pulitzer.
Thursday, January 03, 2008
Verdict: really weird and really good. I usually dislike it when I notice the writing (even if I am noticing that it is good) but--wow--Chabon is something else. Amazingly creative metaphors and similies. Recommended.
- ► 2017 (83)
- ► 2016 (108)
- ► 2015 (112)
- ► 2014 (90)
- ► 2013 (112)
- ► 2012 (153)
- ► 2011 (165)
- ► 2010 (105)
- ► 2009 (90)
- People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
- Call of the Mall by Paco Underhill
- The Ordeal of Elizabeth Marsh : A Woman in World ...
- In Defense of Food : An Eater's Manifesto by Mic...
- Monique and the Mango Rains : Two Years with a Mi...
- The Dirt on Clean : An Unsanitized History by Ka...
- From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweil...
- The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Mic...
- Hittite Warrior by Joanne Williamson
- River Torn by Peter Hessler
- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIHM by Robert O'Brien...
- The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier
- The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon
- The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta
- ▼ January (14)
- ► 2007 (71)
- ► 2006 (115)
- ► 2005 (87)