Thursday, August 04, 2005

An American Life by Ronald Reagan

I really wanted a biography, not an autobiography, of Reagan, but I couldn't find one. I did enjoy reading this. All of those phrases from my childhood--Iran-Contra, Grenada, Lebanan, Achille Lauro, sandinistas, arms-for-hostages, the Faukland Islands--now have some meaning. Of course, I realize that I only got Reagan's side. And while I did enjoy this, he doesn't get very many points for self-reflection; this autobio is much more 'journalistic' in tone. And a better editor would have cut the lengthy back-and-forth missives between him and Soviet leaders: they were boring. Slightly recommended.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie, there was a somewhat controversial but generally well-reviewed biography of Reagan that came out a few years ago, titled "Dutch" by Edmund Morris. You might look for it if you haven't had enough Reagan.

Julie M. Smith said...

According to amazon, Dutch is a fictionalized piece with FAKE footnotes, which I think ought be illegal.

Blog Archive