Thursday, June 03, 2010

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller

A Canticle for Leibowitz

I find it hard to pick books for book group: I don't want to pick something I've already read (old news! and I probably won't remember it well enough to discuss it!), but there is always the risk that something unread will be a stinker . . . or crazy vulgar . . . or whatever. Anyway, after seeing this title pop up as "the best sci-fi ever," I decided to pick it for my book to review this month. I thought it was a good read (not superb, but good), but with absolutely top-notch material for a book group to discuss: Is history cyclical? Is the inevitable cost of technology the ability to wipe out humanity? Is there a conflict between religion and science? So I'm pleased with the choice and look forward to the discussion.

No comments:

Blog Archive