Monday, September 10, 2007

A Class Apart: Prodigies, Pressure and Passion Inside One of America's Best High Schools by Alec Klein

This was mildly interesting. The pressure these kids are under is amazing and saddening. I admit that I was reading looking for secrets to the production of super-students. Unfortunately, the only thing I came away with was: "Start with a kid already internally motivated or convince them that you won't love them and/or will punish them if they don't excel."

No thanks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Two of my daughters graduated from Stuyvesant (1999 and 2002). I don't know that either of them were "super" students, but they both did well there and at university.

I asked the younger one last night if she'd read the book. "No, but I was invited to a party/book signing at the school, but I didn't go."

If they read it, I'll let you know what they think.

Mark B.

Blog Archive