Friday, April 01, 2005

Punished by Rewards by Alfie Kohn

I've developed a real enjoyment for books that seem to be a mixed bag (where some things ring true but others don't). I appreciate the opportunity that they give me to sort and think.

That's definitely the case here. Kohn's thesis is that rewards ("do this and you'll get that") are bad because they ruin intrinsic motivation ("this must be boring/hard/etc. or they wouldn't be offering me that to do it"). He applies this theory to business (no more merit pay), schools (no more reward programs or even grades), and childraising (no rewards, punishments, or even praise).

I think he makes a good case for schools: learning is intrinsically motivating, and offering kids Pizza Hut coupons when they read books is a prime recipe for fat kids who don't like to read. I think his idea that only two grade (A and Incomplete) be given is excellent, and basically (but not formally) what we do when we homeschool.

But his ideas don't work as well for workers and children, who are not usually intrinsically motivated to write code or clean their rooms.

And that's why my kids will continue to be allowed to pick out a box of cereal if they act like civilized human beings in the grocery store.

No comments:

Blog Archive