Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Boyd K. Packer by Lucille Tate

I enjoyed reading this book as I enjoy almost all biogaphies of Church leaders. Regardless of their individual accomplishments, the lives of people who were born in the arly 20th century, survived depression and war, and witnessed the amazing technological and cultural changes of the 20th century are generally interesting in their own right.

I don't have much to say about it, just two minor note, which shouldn't be confused as major points:

(1) While a GA, Pres. Packer was asked by a mission president in Denver to come speak to the missionaries on Christmas Eve. Another GA said that he would answer that request for Elder Packer, and wrote stating that Elder P. had a previous commitment: to his family. I liked this story. As I've mentioned in other reviews, some of these biographies leave one feeling that the GAs never see their families. So I liked the explicit permission to put family first.

(2) An entire chapter was devoted to refuting the charge that Elder Packer is 'anti-intellect,' with a quote from Sunstone and everything. I was surprised this got so much airtime, and further surprised by Tate's poor defense of Elder Packer. But I am tempted to cut her some clack because she was in her 80s when she wrote this book. (I was alternately charmed and irritated by her quaint style.) I am still thinking about Elder Packer's controversial take on Church history is "The Mantle is Far, Far Greater than the Intellect" and may post on it at T & S. I am sympathetic to him, but . . .

I appreciated the many photos, especially the color photos of his artwork. He has amazing talents for sculpture and painting. A recommended book as part of the collection of leaders' biographies.

No comments:

Blog Archive