Saturday, September 01, 2007

Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw

Ooh, this was good--I was prereading it since I'll be having my 9yo read it for school this year. Books like this make me glad that I'm a homeschooler! The story was engaging, the background (ancient Egypt) was fabulous, and I thought Mara was the perfect feminist heroine--even allowed a love story, but noted for her bravery and self-defense. Do not be put off by the cheesy 80s cover art! Highly recommended for adults and kids--would be a great read-aloud.

6 comments:

Mrs. Godfrey said...

I read this back in Middle School and remember loving it.

Mrs. Godfrey said...

I remember reading this back in middle school and loving it.

Mrs. Godfrey said...

Another thought...I don't know if you're studying other cultures with your daughter and that's why you have chosen Mara. If that's the case, I would like to recommend a two others that I taught my 6th graders:
Homeless Bird
Single Shard

Julie M. Smith said...

Thanks, Nancy. I'll check those out as we are doing all of ancient history this year. (And my 9yo is a boy--I try to choose some books with female protagonists, tho.)

Moxy Jane said...

This looks very interesting! I will put it on our list.

Moxy Jane said...

Julie,
I just finished this last night and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation! I think it will work for my oldest in about another year.

Blog Archive