Wednesday, June 13, 2007

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Normally I read until midnight, but last night I was so wiped out at 10pm that I decided to set aside my Serious Book and read a few pages of a new Fluff book to get to sleep.

At 4:04am, I finished My Sister's Keeper. I literally couldn't put it down--this book's strengths were its incredible characterization of a half dozen major characters as well as its compelling portrayal of a family ripped apart by a child's illness.

Now that it is the light of day, I've been vacillating between thinking that the twist at the end was pure stupidity and thinking that it was the perfect encapsulation of the idea that we, ultimately, don't control . . . anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We read MSK for book club this spring, and our discussion focused almost exclusively on the ending. I was unsatisfied by it, but I did enjoy the rest of the book and all the sister-pairs working on "keeping" each other. It gave me a chance to fight with myself about the hard questions the book raises, so I think the almost black-and-white ending was a betrayal to the shades-of-gray presentation of the rest of the book. Still, I would recommend it as good reading.

Have you read any of the other Picoult books? I haven't yet.

Blog Archive