Sunday, June 03, 2007

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

On the one hand, Barbara Kingsolver is a delicious writer who chronicles well the tale of her family's year of eating mostly home-grown food. On the other hand, this book suffers prodigiously in comparison with The Omnivore's Dilemma, which covers much of the same ground without sounding preachy or elitist. Despite Kingsolver's repeated reminders that she wasn't being preachy or elitist, she was. I'd have a helluva lot easier time eating locally if I could hire a caterer for a family party or calculate food costs without counting labor costs (or time).

2 comments:

Jon said...

Julie,

I am looking for a book to read on the Mountain Meadows incident. I respect your work on T&S and thought you may be a good source for such a book. I'd like to have as objecitve an account as possible for when the movie comes out in my area.

Thanks. You can email at jon.schutz@gmail.com.

P.S. My wife an I used to be in your ward in Davis.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to read your review of this book, since I loved The Omnivore's Dilemma. Now I don't feel quite as desperate to read Barbara Kingsolver's, though I'm sure I'll get to it eventually. Thanks!

Blog Archive