Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Twilight by Stephenie [sic] Meyer

This is way high on the list of best books that I have ever read. The strange thing is: I cannot really figure out why. I wouldn't say that the writing was extraordinary, the plot was somewhat predictable, and did I mention that it was about vampires? But there was something about this story that just sucked (ha!) me in. I think the vampire backdrop serves as an extraordinarily good metaphor for teenage angst--maybe that was it. In any case, this one is highly recommended.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My 14-yr-old read this book in a day and a half, and then consumed the sequel in even a shorter amount of time. I loved Twilight too, but had to suspend my feminist sensibilities to get past Bella's constant need to be rescued by the oh-so beautiful Edward.

Julie M. Smith said...

Bah! No feminist deconstruction!

(But don't you think that the incredible danger that she poses to Edward bespeaks of a certain power?)

Anonymous said...

It is so funny that you would review this book right now, as my daughter was just telling me this morning how tired she was from staying up too late reading it. I asked if it was really worth it for the hard morning she gets afterwards, (she has to be to school by 6:00 am) and she said definitely!

Carol F. said...

Funny that you should work your review like that--you liked it but you "don't know why". Similarly, I liked it in spite of myself. The thing I keep coming back to is the romantic tension--450 pages of it perfectly described. Don't know that I needed that many pages of it, but it didn't stop me! While reading, I felt so strongly those feelings of having a requited crush on a beautiful boy, complete with the dangers and unknowns. I loved that it was clean, also. I think a movie would be fantastic.

Blog Archive