Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Pocahontas and the Strangers by Clyde Robert Bulla

This was a pre-read for Simon. I didn't like it at all. I couldn't tell if the writing was stilted in an effort to keep it simple or because it reflected the author's perception of what a story about Native Americans should read like, but in any case it felt like reading Dick and Jane.

I've had several strike-outs with Simon's books this year. I didn't get very far with Walk the World's Rim or The King's Fifth, either.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We just read "Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims" by this author. When I looked to see if it was available at the local public library for the other boys in our homeschool history club, I found an earlier edition called, "Squanto, Friend of the White Man." I think this man wrote for an earlier era - the Dick and Jane era might be an accurate description of it. However I thought Squanto was adequate for our purposes (a group of 6 boys ages 8-12). I wish I could find more shaded novelizations for this era. I loved The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing but found it too disturbing to share with my 5th grader!

Blog Archive