Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Leviticus (NICOT) by Gordon Wenham

This was the best of the lot and if I could only have read one title on Leviticus, it would have been this one. I discovered the NICOT/NICNT series with the Ezekiel title which I thought was fabulous (although I read part of the Acts title online and thought it was too fluffy). The main strength of this title was that it presented solid exegesis (taking both Milgrom and Douglas into account) and then, separately, covered the relationship between Leviticus and the New Testament. If you wanted to read one volume on Leviticus, it would be this one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you think of the NICOT series in general? How about the NICNT? That is, if one is looking for commentary on other books of the Bible, are these volumes a pretty safe bet?

Julie M. Smith said...

I only have experience with a few, but here's my vote:

Ezekiel: excellent
Leviticus: excellent
Romans: a stinker
Acts: stinker
Isaiah: average

This gives them a batting average at least on par with the other major commentary series (Anchor, ICC, Word, Baker).

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I am interested in getting a few Bible commentaries, for my husband in particular. Can you give me some ideas of the best commentaries, if any, that you have run accross for the following:
Genesis, Exodus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Job, Ecclesiastes, the gospels, Acts, and Revelation?
(Recommendations of Jewish commentaries for the lay person, if you know of any, would be welcome too.)

Julie M. Smith said...

I don't have any to add about the OT besides the ones I've listed here, but a few good NT ones are:

_Luke_ by Darrell Bock.

_John_ (Anchor Bible) Raymond Brown.

_Written That You May Believe_ (John) by Schneider.

_Let the Reader Understand_ by Robert Fowler on Mark.

_Acts_ from the Anchor Bible series by Fitzmeyer

_Acts: A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary_ by Witheringon

_The Theology of the Book of Revelation_ by Bauckham

And, if I may be so bold, the one I wrote on the gospels: _Search, Ponder, and Pray: A Guide to the Gospels_.

Blog Archive