Sunday, March 06, 2005

Glimpses into the Life and Heart of Marjorie Pay Hinckley edited by Virginia Pearce

Did you know that President Hinckley sometimes leaves his towels on the floor? I admit a deep pleasure in finding out such things. But there are other, more normal, reasons to like this book. To be a prophet's wife is to be equally yoked with a prophet of God. That's heady stuff. Sister Hinckley was an amazing woman, and while I would have preferred a traditionally-formatted biography, I'll take what I can get. These 'glimpses' flesh out her life. I especially enjoyed the texts of talks that she had given at the end. I have long thought that biographies of all Church leaders should end with one of their 'classic' texts.

By the way, Deseret Book, please never use lavender ink again. What an annoying format for an otherwise sweet book.

1 comment:

Amira said...

I *love* this book. But I didn't like the ink colors either. At least the entire book wasn't in lavender.

I would like to read a biography of Sister Hinckley too. But between this book and _Letters_, I feel like I've been able to get a fair picture of what she was really like. She was a strong woman who also completely supported her husband.

I like how you said it: "To be a prophet's wife is to be equally yoked with a prophet of God."

Blog Archive